Thursday, February 5, 2009

Remembering Anna

I am bored at work today, and it gets me thinking about a girl who I became good friends with that used to work here. I'll call her Anna. Anna was always a ton of fun, we used to message each other all day even though I sat right next to her. We confided in one another a lot too, and became pretty close as a result. We even started hanging out outside of work, coming over to each others houses and having a few beers or on rare occasions getting to go out for drinks. She likes wine, and can drink a ton of it in one sitting if you let her. I guess we both can. The boys would usually have some beers and we would crack open bottle after bottle, sometimes making plans that we quickly abandoned as the bottles kept coming. Those nights were always fun.

I remember one night in particular. We decided to go out and have some drinks at a local dive we enjoy. I was excited. I loved our double dates, and they were becoming fewer and farther in between since Anna had just had a new baby not long before. Plus, any excuse to get all dressed up and cute was something to look forward to. My boyfriend and I hopped in the car and headed over to her place pretty early, somewhere around 6pm. We get there and she is still getting ready, and I head into the kitchen to pour us a glass of wine before we go out. I pop the bottle and pour, one glass for me, one for her and head to their bedroom. She was standing at the dresser fussing with her hair, an open jewelry box in front of her. She turns and smiles and we give each other hello hugs and toast our glasses. She takes a sip and turns back to doing her hair. She grimaces.

"Ugh! I hate my hair! Why did you let me cut it off again?" Here we go, she hates her hair again. This was the norm, she would come in after a spontaneous haircut and we were always to blame. Still makes me smile just thinking about it.

"Are you serious? You look hotter than ever!" I meant that. Anna did look stunning in her tight blue jeans and black droop neck halter. She hadn't quite lost her pregnancy breasts either and it was hard not to notice. Her olive skin was lightly freckled on her chest, shoulders and nose, and her makeup was immaculate-as usual. Smokey eyes and pursed pink lips never looked better. She pulled her fingers through her chestnut mane giving it one final spike and huffed.

"Forget it! I will just look hideous!" she declared loudly. I couldn't help but laugh. She is always dramatic about these things. "Help me pick out my jewelry."

She pulls out a strand of big, chunky faux-pearls and holds it against her neck. The strand was long and dangled between the droop of the shirt.

"Those!" I blurted out quickly. "With matching earrings. You know, so they stand out."

"Really? Huh. Okay then," she announced. "I'm ready!" We clinked our glasses and took a couple big gulps. Then we snatched up the boys and were on our way.

*****

We get to the local pub and right away we stood out. Packed with local fishermen and the blue collar set, we looked like a lost bunch with our stilettos and halter tops. While I didn't mind the attention, she loved it. And there was plenty of it. Even with our men on our arms, the heads kept turning. They sat us at a booth near the bar and Anna pulls me to the seat next to her. For when we have to go to the ladies room, she cooed. So cute. We ordered our first round of drinks, beers again for the guys, and some cosmos for us. When they arrived, we toasted our evening out and took a sip.

"Holy shit that's strong!" Anna sputters. "What the hell is in these things anyway?"

"Dunno. I don't usually get them. I'm more of a vodka-cran type of girl," I reply after wincing. It really was a pretty potent drink. "Besides, the only time I even drink this kind of thing is when we go out."

"My mom turned me on to vodka and soda recently. Those are good. I'll order us some."

"Honey, I'm not going to return a drink. I'll finish this one." I said. "It's not a big deal. Besides, the food will soak it up." I chuckled and she laughed.

"I'll just order the next round now! It will get here with the food." She flags down the server and orders us the drinks. "Do you guys want another round too?" She asks her hubbie and my boyfriend.

"Nah, looks like I'll be driving," hubbie jokes.

I knew right then we were in for a fun night. It was one of those rare evenings when the girls could be girls, the boys could be boys, and we still all could have fun together. We ate, we drank, we drank some more...we would giggle amongst ourselves as our guys discussed work, order shooters and appetizers, and run to the restroom every twenty minutes. I could feel myself losing control, swirling more and more into the moment, not caring who saw. It seems so out of place for me, which felt wonderful. Even though my boyfriend was right across from me, I couldn't stop myself from taking her arm in mine, squeezing her hand or touching her hair. And when she would lay her hand on my arm or my thigh, or spontaneously throw her arms around me, it was pure bliss. I absolutely adored her.

By the time we left the bar, we were smashed. I can barely remember getting to the car but I know that on the ride home she laid her head in my lap as I stroked her hair. I was too drunk to keep my eyes open very long, but there was one brief moment where she looked up at me, catching my gaze and blew me a kiss. Even like that she was beautiful.

We arrived home and stumbled into the house. We didn't bother to say much else to anyone and instead went straight to bed. We laid down, still dressed and wrapped our arms around each other. We barely had enough strength to pull up the covers. As we held each other, she started to doze, but before she did, she whispers to me.

"You're one of my best friends, Yuri. I love you."

"We will always be best friends, Anna. I love you too." I whispered back. Then we leaned in and kissed. Softly. Her eyes were closed, but I saw her smile. Then she was asleep. And so was I.

The next morning we all woke up, enjoyed coffee and pastries for breakfast, and mused about the night before. I didn't remember much, and Anna seemed to remember even less. It was like it always was, and I couldn't help but think - perfect...almost. I really should call her again...

No comments:

Post a Comment